Jobs - Farm Operations Manager
Ovipost designs automated, scalable insect farming systems. We are a team of farmers, engineers, biologists, and creative problem-solvers with a passion for insects and the environment.
Our mission is to reduce carbon emissions and protect critical ecosystems while enhancing food security. Our insects consume agricultural byproducts and generate highly nutritious protein that can be used in a variety of food and feed applications. Ovipost’s current facilities in Florida and Mississippi grow crickets and superworms for use in pet food.
Ovipost is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Ovipost seeks a Farm Operations Manager who will analyze and improve farm ops. You will ensure the insect growing and production facilities have systems and infrastructure in place to run reliably and cost-effectively.
You will make decisions on key infrastructure, including roads, storage buildings, grain silos, hydraulic equipment, and much more. To ensure good systems are in place you will learn, help document, and oversee the Standard Operating Procedures. You will ensure that standard processes are applied meaningfully and with documentation across our facilities, given the individual infrastructural and environmental nuances of each location. Key activities will include process management of insect rearing, shipping and fulfillment, live animal inventory, consumables, and facility operations.
- Ability to prioritize multiple mission-critical projects and push the most important wins to completion first.
- Excellent time management and delegation skills
- Ability to analyze systems, design improvements, and test changes in complex environments
- Familiarity with version control systems and ability to release operational changes in a coordinated, documented, traceable manner
- Familiarity with buildings, electricians, plumbers, etc. Bonus points for familiarity with shipping containers, old semi truck trailers, and double wide trailers.
- Participate in engineering design reviews and give feedback on how new projects or devices will interact with existing infrastructure and processes.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with people of different backgrounds
- Open to travel. Spending significant time on-site at each facility is critical for successful design and implementation of facility changes and ensuring operational excellence. Each new location we build has its own unique challenges and learnings.
- Willingness to touch insects, handle dust and dirt, and become deeply familiar with insects and the farming process. To design good farm automation, you must know how to farm.
- Must have at least two years of operations experience in manufacturing, biology, chemistry, food, agriculture, or another field involving human labor and physical processes. Bonus points for familiarity with production farm environments such as poultry, dairy, corn, etc.
- Candidates from underrepresented backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply
Location and Salary
- Ovipost operates facilities in Canton, Mississippi and Labelle, Florida. You must live near one of these facilities or be willing to relocate.
- Salary and/or stock options will be commensurate with experience.
- We offer flexible working hours, paid vacation, and the opportunity for growth.
How To Apply
To apply, email email@example.com with a short description of your relevant experience and why you are interested in this position. Please attach your CV/resume or provide a link to your LinkedIn profile.